Undergraduate Merit Scholarship Application
The SHFM Foundation will be awarded six scholarships in 2016 for $2,500 each to deserving students who are dedicated to a future career in corporate foodservice and workplace hospitality. Eligibility criteria and application requirements are listed below. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact the SHFM Foundation at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Who is the Society for Hospitality and Foodservice Management (SHFM)
The Society for Hospitality and Foodservice Management (SHFM) is the pre-eminent national association serving the needs and interests of executives in the corporate foodservice and workplace hospitality. Our principal role is to enhance the ability of our members to achieve career and business objectives in an ethical, responsible and professional climate. SHFM defines workplace hospitality in the corporate environment as anything that touches the corporation’s employees, which could include conference centers, audio visual, fitness centers, day cares, travel and other internal corporate services.
We are a truly unique association with a membership that represents over three hundred companies and nearly 25% of Fortune 100 companies. Our members are the leaders that oversee all facets of corporate foodservice and workplace hospitality, including a broad range of duties that impact workplace productivity and morale: executive dining rooms; catering; cafeterias; dining centers; conference centers; health and fitness centers; child care centers; vending and pantry services; and meetings support, including audio-visual services. SHFM represents the most influential professionals in these industries—the people who directly provide these services and oversee hundreds of business campuses and millions of employees.
Our members include client liaisons and self-operators; all major global, national, and regional foodservice contract management companies; companies that providing products and services to our industry; and faculty and students from HRI programs across the United States.
Note: Any applications which do not meet the following criteria will automatically be disqualified. Students can only recieve a scholarship from the SHFM Foundation once.
• Must be entering your Junior or Senior year of college
• Have a minimum grade point average of 2.75 on a 4.0 scale.
• Have performed a minimum of 400 hours of foodservice/hospitality-related work experience, verified by paycheck stubs or letter(s) from employer(s).
Note: The submission of any materials with an application other than those requested will be discarded. Examples: newspaper articles, resume, reports, etc. Please only include what has been requested and do NOT upload any other materials.
• Application must be fully completed.
• Transcript from college attended (unofficial transcripts will be accepted).
• Proof of foodservice/hospitality-related work experience with a minimum of 400 hours verified by copies of paycheck stubs or letter(s) from employer(s) stipulating number of hours worked.
• Letter of recommendation on letterhead from a current/previous employer or current/previous professor.
• Applications will be scored on a scale of 0 – 40 points. Judges will score the following:
• Essay question (required 250-350 word count)
• Grade point average
• Industry-related work experience
• Special consideration will be given to students who desire to focus on corporate foodservice / workplace hospitality (e.g. hospital, school, college, corporate dining)
• Career interests
• Strength of letter of recommendation